Thursday, December 25, 2008

MERRY CHRISTMAS

First of all, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas. It is such a fun time to spend with family and friends and it makes me truly thankful for my wonderful life!!!! Santa (and family) was good to me and I received several quilting and felting books so I have lots of ideas to try out sometime in the future.



I am currently quilting on a queen size quilt that has been a collaborative project between my Mother and myself. She is 85 years old and has been making quilts since she was 11. She quit after she married, but resumed when the Bicentennial Quilt Craze started in the 1970's. She does gorgeous hand work and also beautiful hand quilting....too bad it didn’t wear off on me.

She isn’t doing many quilts these days, but still enjoys hand applique. She uses wonder under to adhere the pieces and then covers the edges with a tiny blanket stitch.....most people think that she has used the sewing machine. Unfortunately, she doesn’t spend a lot of time in setting her blocks together so they don’t end up being shown as nicely as they could.

Several years ago, I took a class by Barbara Barber and purchased her book of applique flower patterns. Mom saw the book and fell in love with the designs. She took it home with her and quickly made 10 blocks. I designed an alternating block to go with her applique ones, and then requested that she make seven more. She obliged and I put the top together.

I actually made two sets of alternating blocks as I didn’t like how the first set looked. I also re-did the border several times to get it to look ok.

NOW, I have to quilt it. I am having a hard time coming up with ideas about how to quilt it, so I am starting by doing the stars in the ditch. We will see where it goes from there.






Here is a photo of the completed top.



It has been in my "too hard" basket for quite some time and I have been surprised that I have been enjoying quilting on it. Hopefully I can do 1/2 to 1 hour each day and get it finished up fairly soon.


Wish me luck!!!!

2 comments:

Anita said...

Frances, I've been impressed with your quilt design abilities before, but this quilt is exceptional. The border is wonderful, and the stars really showcase your Mom's blocks. Nice job!

Julie Bagamary said...

Frances, I think we met at a FAA meeting in Asheville. I look forward to following your blog. Merry Christmas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews