Thursday, January 1, 2009

Power Piecing

For the past couple of days I have been "Power Piecing". This is the term that I use when I am making a quilt that is to be functional and all (or most) of the design decisions have already been made. At this point, I am focused on piecing as quickly and accurately as possible and getting the top finished fast!!!

In this case, the quilt top in question is one that will be donated by Cotton Patch Quilters to the Oconee County Relay for Life program. My guild has donated 3 previously and they have raised almost $9,000 from the three of them. I really enjoy working on these projects, and am always excited to see how much money can be raised from the raffles.

These quilts are organized by the Charity Bee for the guild, with general members adding fabrics or blocks to them as well. However, with this quilt, we decided to make it within the Bee and to use fabrics that have been donated to the group over the years. We found the pattern in "Nickel Quilts" by Pat Speth (Arlington Square Pattern) and selected and cut all of the pieces this past summer. Unfortunately, Summer quickly turned into Autumn and then to Winter and the quilt lay dormant. Since the Relay organizational meeting is in January, we realized that it was time to get the quilt finished. Nancy (the group's leader) and I started working on the piecing, but it became obvious that we would not get it finished very quickly if we only worked on it at the Charity Bee meetings.

SO, I volunteered to bring it home and see if I could get it done during the holidays.

It has not been an easy quilt to piece as there are tons of seams that have to be sewn and the biggest patch in the quilt is 2x4 inches.

There was supposed to be a fairly intricate pieced border, but I decided that we could do without that and simply took some of the bits that were leftover from making four patches and sewed them into a checkerboard pattern which became the smaller inner border. I ended up having to un-sew an entire long side when I miscalculated the direction of the strip so that the border would turn the corner correctly. I almost left it the way that it was, but my conscience got the better of me and I took it out and did it right.




Here is a quick photo of the top. I will post a better one once I go to the charity meeting and hang it on the big design wall.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Arlington Square is my favorite from the Nickel Quilts book. It looks very nice and that simple border is lovely. There's already plenty going on in the quilt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews