Continuing on from the last post……
After I got the photo pattern ready, I put together a full size pattern. This was done by printing out the photo using the poster function so that it printed onto 4 pieces of paper (2 by 2). I then used a fine point Sharpie to draw around the shapes. The ink leaked thru the paper so that the lines were also visible on the back. I re-traced these lines, giving me a reverse image pattern.
This 2 by 2 pattern was taken to the copier and copied again using the poster function set at 3 by 3 pages. This brought it to the final size …approximately 50 inches square.
Here is the final “reverse image” pattern…….
I decided to start out by working on the train background…..seat, floor, etc. I figured that those were the easiest parts to do and I could put off the harder (realistic people) parts till later.
I visited my local quilt shop (Dragonfly Quilt Shop) to pick up a few fabrics. The first that I found was a Kaffe Fassett
As I mentioned in a previous post, I felt that it was a bit too bright so I over-dyed it with black to tone it down a bit.
As I worked on the seat, I realized that the bottom edge needed to be darker than the rest of the seat, so I over-dyed another piece….this time making it MUCH darker.
I also had a bright idea to place a seam in the fabric in the place where the seat would meet the seat-back.
I then began working on the base of the seat and the floor, but after piecing the first set of fabrics, I realized that the colors were wrong. I had forgotten that this part of the picture had come from a different photo and probably wouldn’t be in cream tones, but rather in silvers and grays. So, after an unsuccessful try at over-dying the entire section, I ended up starting over with different fabrics.
The next step was to put together the window. I decided to use one of the over-dyed fabrics as the window….I may add some quilting to it to show a bit more motion.
The word “Underground” was printed onto fabric and then appliqued onto the window. All of the window ledges were appliqued in place as well.
I have used a brown for the door on the far right, but am thinking that I will change it to a silver tone before the project is finished.
I have not done much work on the upper section because I am not completely happy with my fabric choice, nor with the printed Underground map. It just doesn’t fit right there….looks too small, so I may have to do some manipulations to it in Photoshop and try printing it out again.
So this is where I will stop the story again……next step is the boy on the left!!