Sunday, December 6, 2009

Star over Bethlehem

_B283443 (2)

This quilt was made in 1985 and was my first foray into the world of machine piecing.  The pattern came from a magazine, but the top part of the star was not part of the original design.  I hadn’t done a lot of quilting at this point and was NOT at all confident that I could make the needed changes to the pattern.    I knew that if I pieced it by hand, it would take a week to do and then I still might not be able to do it.   SO, without really know what I was doing, I set out to piece it one the machine. 

I did EVERYTHING wrong in this process….at least based on what I know now.  I prepared the templates out of cardboard, and then drew them onto the fabric.  I cut out each patch, adding  the quarter inch seam allowance.  I matched the corners and lines and then sewed along the line.  

But, the upside was that it only took a couple of hours to piece and I was able to make the changes easily. 

It is fun to look at this piece and remember how much I worried about making such a simple change.  I have come a long way in the past 24 years and hope that, in 24 more years,  I will look back at today’s quilts and think about how much more I have progressed since then.

1 comment:

maggi said...

Lovely to hear of how you adapted this. It is interesting to look back and see not only our progression but also changes in style too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews