Today I started on a second wall hanging using a rust dyed panel from my friend, Anita and her husband Bill. I asked Bill to think about a vase of flowers when he did this dye and he came up with a bunch of wonderful designs. Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo of the piece before I started working on it.
As I started thinking about what to do on this quilt, I was looking at a crocheted doily that my Grandmother had made and I got an idea to include a doily for the flower vase to sit on. I wanted to try it out first, so I got online and found a few photos that might work…..
This was one of my favorites and the perspective was pretty good as well so I traced out a basic design and started to practice.
I was pleased with the design and was amazed at how easy it was to do…….
My husband suggested that I might want to use blue instead of brown, but I decided to stay with the monochromatic theme.
I also decided to make the doily a little bit bigger.
The first step was to draw the basic outline of the doily on golden threads paper and sew around the outline. I then filled in the “shell” designs with stitching.
Next step was to fill in the first round….
…..the the next two rounds…..
Next I used the golden threads paper to draw the sunflowers and then I stitched around them to transfer the design to the fabric piece.
The final step for the day was to remove the Golden Threads paper. One trick that I have learned is to use a lint roller to remove the little bits of paper that get stuck in the stitching.
Hopefully I can get more time in the next day or so to work on this…..it has been a blast so far!!!!