Friday, February 18, 2011

Dye day with Deb

Back in January when there were inches of snow on the ground, my friend Deb H. and I got together to do some fabric dyeing.   We had a need for a certain type of background fabric and our goal for the day was to make this fabric.

We originally thought of snow dyeing, but decided that 1)….it would take too long, 2)…..we didn’t have the best paints for it, and 3)….there was such a heavy crust of ice on top of the snow that it would  take us forever to gather what we needed.

So….on to the next possibility…..

We taped the PFD fabric down to the plastic covered space and sprayed it with a good bit of water…..

_1131332

We then went to the paints and started mixing colors, using mostly Setacolor and Dynaflow paints…..

_1131333

Next step was to apply the paints to the fabrics…..

_1131335_1131329  We rolled the fabric…..

_1131330

And then unrolled it to reveal the final surface…..

_1131331

We put them outside to dry (or rather freeze), sprinkling some of them with salt to enhance the texture…..

_1131343

I forgot to take a photo of the fabric after it had been washed and ironed, but suffice it to say that they will be perfect for our intended project……if we ever get around to it!!!!

3 comments:

Anita said...

These are wonderful!

elle said...

Thanks so much for sharing your process. Wonderful results!

maggi said...

Lovely results.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews