Sunday, December 16, 2012

Border Mania

Yesterday my husband, Michael, left for a week in Scotland.  Since I have worked hard to get the majority of my accounting work done and all of my Christmas presents purchased and mostly wrapped, I have given myself the gift of a week of quilting.  

And the project is……Flower Pots!!……

DSC04985

As I posted several months ago, I had trouble deciding how to set the blocks together and, through trial and error, ended up with a series of borders in each block.  First a 1/2 inch light green fabric that started out as the “pot” fabric but then changed to another fabric once I ran out.

Next came a 1 inch border in a dark fabric that offset the colors of the block.

Then the accent orange border which is 3/4 inch.

As I planned the large flower border, I ended up adding another set of borders prior to the flower border and had planned to put another set on the outside.  That is where this tale continues.

As I started picking fabrics for the next 1 inch border, I really wanted the same fabric that had been used in the other 2 large framing borders, but unfortunately there was just barely enough fabric.  I even pieced them together with a straight seam rather than a bias seam because I was afraid that I would run out……

_C166962

And then as I measured, I was still a few inches short.  SO, I dug thru my scrap basket and found this wonderful 13 inch piece….._C166963

HOORAY, we were saved!!!

OK, that border was added and then the last 1/2 inch orange border (which, by the way, I only have about 6 inches of orange fabric left)……_C176965

Now came the fun task of figuring out what to do with the final border.  I tried a light green……_C176966

….uh……NO!!!

Then a darker blue……

_C176967

…..Still not right.

 

How about white…_C176969

…..DEFINITELY NOT!!

How about the green that is already in the inner borders…..

_C176968

Better…..but not quite there….

And then it hit me……I HAD to finish the pattern by encasing the orange strip in two dark border strips……

_C176971

Yes it looks great, but that means that I have TWO more sets of borders to add!!!

Back to the studio I go!!!   Now, don’t get the idea that I am really upset….I am so happy about getting to sew that I don’t mind HOW many borders I have to add.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I remember this one. How lucky are you to find the little pieces of fabric to let you make it to the end?
I think the two final borders will look great. Yes, it is extra work but well worth it. Enjoy your sewing week.

Maggi said...

It looks fabulous and I am holding my breath that you have enough of the last two border fabrics left.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews