Yesterday my husband, Michael, left for a week in Scotland. Since I have worked hard to get the majority of my accounting work done and all of my Christmas presents purchased and mostly wrapped, I have given myself the gift of a week of quilting.
And the project is……Flower Pots!!……
As I posted several months ago, I had trouble deciding how to set the blocks together and, through trial and error, ended up with a series of borders in each block. First a 1/2 inch light green fabric that started out as the “pot” fabric but then changed to another fabric once I ran out.
Next came a 1 inch border in a dark fabric that offset the colors of the block.
Then the accent orange border which is 3/4 inch.
As I planned the large flower border, I ended up adding another set of borders prior to the flower border and had planned to put another set on the outside. That is where this tale continues.
As I started picking fabrics for the next 1 inch border, I really wanted the same fabric that had been used in the other 2 large framing borders, but unfortunately there was just barely enough fabric. I even pieced them together with a straight seam rather than a bias seam because I was afraid that I would run out……
HOORAY, we were saved!!!
Then a darker blue……
…..Still not right.
How about white……
How about the green that is already in the inner borders…..
Better…..but not quite there….
And then it hit me……I HAD to finish the pattern by encasing the orange strip in two dark border strips……
Yes it looks great, but that means that I have TWO more sets of borders to add!!!
Back to the studio I go!!! Now, don’t get the idea that I am really upset….I am so happy about getting to sew that I don’t mind HOW many borders I have to add.