Thursday, August 29, 2013

Use It Up Challenge…..FINALLY….

 

When we last left this challenge, it looked like this…..

photo4

I quickly finished the 2-1/2 inch square border but there it sat while we traveled and I caught up with my accounting work.

This week I have had some time to work on the project again with the first step being piecing the piano key border.   The first problem was that I didn’t have enough keys cut to finish the border, so I had to do some fancy piecing…..

DSC00749

….and some of the seams got REALLY small…..

DSC00750

Even after all of my fancy piecing, I was still a few inches short but added a little bit of two new fabrics to allow enough for the border.   Having said that, there was not enough to make a full border so I ended up having to add corner squares….

DSC00763

At this point,the piano key border was 3.5 inches wide.

Now is where the rub comes in…..   I still had some tiny slivers of fabric left so decided that I would put them together to make a new fabric to be used somewhere in the quilt.

I took a base fabric, covered it will fusible web and started laying out strips of the left over fabrics…..

DSC00758

After ironing it down, I pulled out some fun threads…..

DSC00759

….and attached the fabrics….

DSC00760

My thinking is that I would make circles that could sit in the cornerstone squares and they turned out looking great…..

DSC00765

Then came the new design opportunity (ie…mistake).  As I was attaching the first piano key border, I decided that it would look better if it was smaller….a LOT smaller.  So, I grabbed the rotary cutter and whacked off almost half of the border.   It looked a lot better, but then I realized that I had now made the border so small that the perfectly formed circles would not fit anymore…..ARGH!!!!

Since there wasn’t much that I could do to fix it, I decided to go ahead and attach the final border and then figure out what the quilt needed.    At this point, I had these leftover strips from the wrongly-cut border….

DSC00767

I was really wanting to have circles somewhere in the outer borders to continue the theme from the center of the quilt.  As I looked at these pieces, I realized that some of them were big enough to cut a 1 inch circle out of…….

DSC00771

Then came the agonizing decision of exactly what I was going to do with these perfect circles.   I started out thinking that I would put the circles all along the outer border…..

DSC00769

I also considered a tiny, tiny strip of mini keys in the middle of the border (see the bottom one) but quickly canned that idea.

By now, I was tired of trying to come up with ideas so I called down to Michael and asked him to come up and have a look.   He really liked the circles in the borders but commented that it should be asymmetrical and not have circles all around the piece. 

BINGO….that was exactly what I was thinking in the back of my mind, but it hadn’t made it to the front of my mind yet!!!

Thus, with help from the Hubby, the top was finished…..

DSC00773

3 comments:

Maggi said...

Well done to Michael. I really like where you have placed the circles, exactly right.

Sylvia said...

Wow, I'm not usually crazy about scrappy quilts but I think this top is fantastic!

Karen said...

The process may have sent you crazy but the end result is definitely worth all the effort. It looks great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews