The plan for yesterday was to get the Flower Pot quilting finished. I was in a bit of a hurry because a couple of the fabrics had bled a little bit when I sprayed the top with water to see how the quilting looked without the blue lines. So, I wanted to get it finished quickly and get it in to soak.
I was going along well with just two straight lines in the border to finish it off. I had the brainstorm of using a strip of masking tape to mark the lines so that I could sew along the edge…..
So, as I was quilting the last line I realized that the tape was causing a small pucker in the top. Well, I couldn’t let there be a pucker, so I grabbed my seam ripper to slice the masking tape…..and then it happened…..
I looked at it for a while and decided to try to patch it and quilt over it……
Nope…that looks terrible.
Instead I spent the next two hours taking out three lines of quilting (about 30 inches worth), piecing together bits of the border fabric to make a strip long enough and re-inserting the border.
Finally…..it was finished!!!
I drew a bath of warm water, added some Synthrapol and a few color catcher sheets and pitched the quilt in. The water turned a light purple but the color catchers did their job and the color didn’t migrate to other areas of the quilt. After a short soak, I drained the water and started over again with cool water.
The quilt was moved to the washer for a spin cycle and then into the dryer for a bit to remove more of the water.
Then it was back upstairs where I moved some furniture in the guest sitting room and was able to lay out the quilt to finish drying. It is so nice to have a bit of room for this!!!
All that is left is to square it up, add the binding, sleeve and label.
Cant wait to have it finished!!!!