The second step for the monument was to put the spire on. I decided that the one I had originally drawn was not the right size so re-drew it and started picking fabrics. Again, I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for, so I added some Metallic silver paint to change the texture of it a bit.
I was happy with the design, but didn’t feel as if the perspective was right, so I went to an expert, my Daughter-In-Law Amber, for help. Her first suggestion was that I cut the three pieces apart and play with those some…..
Amber is an Elementary school art teacher and a very accomplished artist and she jumped right in to help me…..
I think that she was right!!!
The next part of the piece was to get the mountains in the background. I was torn about these because I wanted them to show up but not to overtake the scene. I found one photo that had a nice view of the mountains and used that for my pattern.
I started off working from a color photo on my computer…..
…but then realized that it was much easier to see the shading from a black and white version.
I had way too much fun filling in these mountains, playing with the colors and shading until I had a pleasant design that showed the depth of the scene…..
I was excited by the fact that, although I used the photo to help with the shading some, I was able to do a lot of it intuitively….a FIRST for me!!!
The next obstacle was to get all of these pieces glued down and get rid of the pins. I started working with the bottle of glue as I had before but decided that a stiff paintbrush was easier to use….
I also realized that it would be easier to work from above the pieces so pulled out a stepstool to give me a little height……
After I glued all of the mountains down, I took it to the machine and outline stitched around each piece. My plan is to add a lot of quilting and hopefully the outlines wont show much. I am very happy with the progress so far…..
Next will be the grass and rocks leading down the path.