Sunday, January 22, 2017

Next......

Now that my quilt is finished and hung.....

...it was time to attack the huge job of cleaning my studio. I tend to not worry about what it looks like while I'm working, knowing that I will clean it up after each finish. 

As I sorted through the fabrics I counted 132 different fabrics that I had pulled in making this quilt....

The big trick now is to get them all back into the boxes. Some of these fabrics have been out of their storage containers for over a year and other things have taken their place so it was a bit of a struggle to get everything in. But after 20 minutes or so of pushing and pulling I was able to get all of the boxes closed (well, sort of) and on the shelf.

I set up my quilting area, starting with my the table leaf and then adding another small table to the side just to give this big quilt enough support......

I spent a few minutes cleaning my machine and oiling it.....

It has been a long time since I have had a machine that needs oil so I am having to get used to remembering to do it.  One of the reviews that I read said that it was a thirsty machine, and I think that's a good description of it. While I was oiling  the bobbin case area I noticed a thread that had gotten tangled in there, so I spent about 30 minutes trying to remove that thread. It was finally accomplish with the use of a pair of needle nose pliers from the garage.
As I was cleaning, I also noticed this hook on my machine.....

For the last 5 months I have been carefully threading the thread THRU the hole without realizing that there was this guide that meant the thread can be slid into the hole rather than threading.....OY VEY!!!!  This makes threading SO much faster!!!
The next project is the queen size pineapple quilt that I pieced a couple years ago and I've been waiting to quilt. I had some time to work on it in December and played with various quilting ideas.   The one that I liked best was quilting long lines leading into the red highlighted area. I first marked a series of lines and quilted those so the quilt was well held together. Then I started adding additional lines leading from the outside borders in as well. I marked the entire quilt and started the quilting process but felt like things were being too even and maybe I wanted a little more non-symmetry with it.

So I sprayed it down with water and removed all of the blue lines that I had already put on. I then started re-drawing the lines but again they still seem to be very symmetrical.   So I have now decided to draw some of the lines, quilt a little, draw some more lines, and quilt some more, and just see how it turns out. 


My gut feeling is that I will end up with symmetry!!!

Since the quilt contains every color in the rainbow spectrum, I am quilting it using variegated Maxi-Llock thread in each of the colorways.....



3 comments:

elle said...

Wow. What a gorgeous quilt. And yes again. What a gorgeous quilt. Cleaning beween projects is challenging and satisfying.:) nice set up and nice to keep options open!

Dot said...

I love this quilt and using the variety of colors in your threads will make it a most interesting quilt.

Karen S said...

How wonderful to see your quilt already hanging in its place.
And good luck with your plans for quilting this big one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews